ICC-SWCC provides independent, third-party verification that small or medium wind turbines meet the requirements of several wind turbine standards. The general process for applicants seeking certification is described below and in the flowchart:
- Application: Companies seeking ICC-SWCC certification for eligible wind turbines submit a completed application form.
- Preliminary Review: The next step is a Preliminary Review of the turbine. The applicant submits a Notice of Intent Form and Configuration Description Form along with required fees. This provides ICC-SWCC with details on the wind turbine design and testing. The documents are reviewed by the ICC-SWCC staff and Certification Commission to determine eligibility and specific requirements for certification.
- Certification Agreement: If the Preliminary Review is completed successfully, a Certification Agreement is generated, detailing the scope, specific requirements, submissions, testing and evaluation details and fees for full certification.
- Testing and Evaluation: If testing has not been completed previously, the applicant works with the selected testing organization to conduct the tests specified in the Certification Agreement. Any engineering analyses required are completed per ICC-SWCC requirements and submitted.
- Review and Decision: After the required test reports, analyses and other materials have been submitted to ICC-SWCC, the full review process takes place. ICC-SWCC Certification Analysts and Certification Commission review the material to determine compliance with the requirements of the standards and program. If approved, the applicant is notified and the final certification documents are posted on the ICC-SWCC Directory. If not, the deficiency is identified and the applicant is provided with an opportunity to correct the issue to again seek approval.
For more detailed information on the application process, visit the following pages for Small and Medium turbines. Or if you have specific questions, please contact us.
- Small Wind Turbine (SWT) Certification Process Details (< 200 m² swept area)
- Medium Wind Turbine (MWT) Certification Process Details (200 – 1,000 m² swept area)